Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grandson Andrew Visits Us

Oh what joy we have whenever we have our grandchildren. Usually when we have Andrew, we will also have his sister Brigitte. But due to circumstances I was not going to be around and I asked Camille if perhaps Andrew could just come and spend time with Grandpa. Camille talked with Brigitte and she said that was okay because she had spent time along with her other Grandmother so it was okay for him to spend time along with Grandpa Heilman. At first we were only going to have him for one day. But since the Heilman Reunion was going to be on Sunday, we got the blessing of having him stay from August 4, to August 9. The night before Gary asked Andrew what he wanted for breakfast. "I would like pancakes." was his reply. That evening we went to prayer meeting. Since Pastor Wright was out of town, we had a layman speak. He told how he had only been saved for four years.

One the way home with Andrew in the backseat, he made the comment that he was a Christian. We asked him how he knew that. "Why, I know that I am a sinner and Jesus died for my sins. I asked him to forgive me of my sin and asked him into my life." That's what getting saved is all about.

On August 6, Grandpa and Grandson were planning a big bike ride. I even had to laugh during our devotions. When it was time to pray, I asked Andrew if he had any prayer requests. "Pray that Grandpa has the strenght to stay with me on the bike trail." was his reply. We all laughed!! Above we have Gary getting the bike rack attached to his truck.

Here we have Andrew waiting and watching Grandpa get the rack set up.



Of course all the tires have to be checked out before setting out for a 30 mile bike hike.
When they returned home they were tired out. They had stopped in Popular Grove for lunch but they were ready to eat again after burning so many calories.
That evening I don't ever remember Andrew saying to us before,"Can I go to bed now?" Again we all had a good laugh about that statement.
The days went by fast and before you knew it, it was time to the Heilman Reunion. We enjoyed Andrew's visit and of course the highlight was him telling us he was a Christian. I always think of the verse that says something to this effect: "I have no greater joy than my children walk with the Lord."


1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

Looks like God answered his request! Andrew is such a GREAT kid - I wish I had his energy!