Saturday, October 18, 2008

Giving Door County a Hand Narrative - Part 1 of 3

First, let me thank my beautiful, talented daughter for acting as my personal assistant and typing my blog entries. She also helped put my Slide shows together (see below). Isn’t she the greatest?

On to my post:
This past week, Gary and I headed up to Door County to enjoy some much deserved rest and relaxation (or so we thought!). We packed up the truck, putting our bikes in the back, in anticipation of exploring the many bike trails Door County has to offer.

Our first stop was to Kiel, Wisconsin, to visit with Peggy and Dennis Robinson. The Robinson’s are involved in a ministry that helps churches expand their buildings. We met them during the time they spent helping First Baptist add on to its building. After taking them to lunch and seeing the status of their current building project, we headed for Sister Bay, Wisconsin.

Someone had leaked the information to our sweet hostess, Charlene Rice, that Gary LOVES to keep busy (even on vacation!). So, she happily gave us a list of projects that needed to be completed around her home. Mainly, she needed the trees in her yard trimmed of dead branches.

We had heard it was going to rain Monday and Tuesday, so we decided to tackle the project on Saturday morning. All was going well, and we had accomplished a LOT. Even our hostess commented on how pleased she was with all we had done.


We decided to trim one more branch before stopping for lunch and a bike ride. Gary asked me to hold the ladder as he trimmed the branch, because the ladder needed to be held steady. BAM! The tree branch fell to the ground and bounced back up into the ladder AND MY HAND!!!

At first, I thought I had just bruised my hand, until Gary saw the blood flowing. We quickly realized it was actually a quite serious injury. After consulting with Charlene, we learned the closest clinics were closed! So, we had to drive 27 MILES to Sturgeon Bay to the Aurora Clinic.

A very wonderful doctor examined my hand and decided to give me five dissolvable stitches and twelve ugly stitches outside my hand. I had to have a tetanus shot and was given a sling. The doctor told me I was under strict orders to do nothing the rest of the day (there went the bike ride!). We were told I would need to return the next day to check for infection.

The next day, we returned and received the good news that there was no infection. I had to continue wearing the sling for another day, but that was okay, since I had an exciting evening to look forward to with the Peninsula Players.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of our Door County story with the Peninsula Players…

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Get well soon, Mom! I hear eating Fisher's chips is good for healing.

Alice said...

I'm not surprised you had to drive all the way to Sturgeon Bay. Yikes. I am so sorry you hurt your hand! Wounded in the line of duty!