Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Trip Narrative

First, let me thank my beautiful, talented daughter for acting as my personal assistant and typing my blog entries. She also helped put my Slide show together in the middle of the night (see below). Isn’t she the greatest?

On to my post:
Every year, my mom looks forward to getting outside for a fun autumn drive!


This year, my sister Jan’s birthday gift to Mom was supposed to be taking her for the drive. We planned to end the trip with an ice cream treat from The Union Dairy in Freeport, Illinois. We chose Thursday, October 9, for the journey.

Well, Jan’s husband ended up needing the car on that day, so my sister Louise graciously took on the driving responsibility (way to get out of it, Jan!).

After getting Mom situated in the car, we headed for Edward’s Apple Orchard West for cider and doughnuts. Mom treated her girls to cider and the locally famous and delicious Edward’s Cider Doughnuts!

Next, we drove to a place that brought up a lot of really great memories!

As kids, we Rehfeldt’s used to go to John and Emma’s farm and play with their children. Now, many, many, many, years later, we visited the farm house. It has really changed a lot over the years, but we enjoyed reminiscing about the “good ‘ol days,” when we were all kids. We even remembered getting the cows and bringing them home in the evening!

Our next stop was the home where Mom grew up, or as we refer to it, The Homestead.

By now, it was time for lunch, so we headed for The Union Dairy! Jan treated us all to lunch. Jan, Mom, and I had to hide when Louise started dancing to the oldies music being played outside. “No, we don’t know that lady at all!”

Mom stayed in the car and ate her entire meal down to the last bite! This is very unusual with Mom, so we KNEW the food had to be GOOD! For dessert, Louise treated us all to The Union Dairy’s specialty of homemade ice cream. YUM!

After all the festivities, we were all tired and stuffed! We drove Mom back to River Bluff and said goodbye! It was a fantastic day to spend with my mom and sisters.

And I didn’t have to treat anybody to anything. (as my sisters reminded me!!!)

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

That's okay! Every time we're together...you TREAT me! :-)