Friday, July 25, 2008

Never Never Give Up - Grand Finale

If it had not been for Ann-Marie staying with us during those few hot days, I may have missed my baby robbins taking flight. The video I have below was a result of Ann-Marie looking out our patio windows and talking to the little robbin who was now perched on the railing of our deck. ( Since I had the sound on during the tapping, you will hear Ann-Marie saying, "How's he doing?" and then Gary picks up the phone and you will hear him saying "Hello"..Sorry for this.)The following day the second robbin I found just sitting below the nest on a bed of nest clippings. All day I would keep an eye on her. (I'm a women so I will refer to the robbin as a her...unless I give her a name like Glenn Close did for the sheep in Sarah - Plain and Tall.)
She just waddled all day long. Sometimes I would find her on the bottom rung of my patio chairs. And then I couldn't find her and was worried that I had missed her leaving me. But then.. I would find her again. Just sitting on my rug. (Because the colors in my rug are a mixture of browns..she blended right in.) Then later I would spot her sitting between two of the railings on my deck.
The interesting thing I did observe was that the mother robbin was still feeding and taking care of her baby. All day long she would bring food and never strayed far from watching every move her baby made.
This went on all day. Finally toward evening I looked out and found the baby robbin following her mother out into the yard. Oh you should have seen how she waddled back and forth. When they finally reached the fence, they both went under it and I saw them no more. I'm not sure when my baby robbin took flight but knowning the watch care of her mother, I'm sure she spread her wings and took flight.
And by the way here is the empty nest. It sort of reminded me of how we as parents come to this same place. But for many of you, it's a long ways off. Just enjoy the video below and rejoice in God our Creator of all things.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, those baby birds were too, too cute! I'm so happy I was there to watch the fledglings.

I'm glad I was INSIDE to watch the fledglings...if you know what I'm saying!

Alice said...

That is so cute. I'm glad you got to observe the robin family from start to finish!