Saturday, July 19, 2008

First Time For Everything!






I just realized that when I read other people blogs that most of them are young married couples with young children growing up before my eyes. Several are young single people. And then of course there is my daughter, her husband and my beautiful grandrabbits! I on the other hand have been there done that in my life.


My mother Agnes who will be 91 this year and my sisters are in different stages of our life. While visiting my mother at River Bluff she told me..."I"m bored!" "Mom anytime you want to get out, just let me know." was my reply. At first I couldn't understand why my mother who sends birthday and anniversary to ALL her zillions of children, inlaws, outlaws, grandkids and great grandkids and great great grandkid could be bored. She is such a faithful writer!


So for the first time my sister Louise swayed her to let us get a wheelchair to ride in so she could go with us to the CherryVale Mall. So perhaps you can learn somethings from where I am in my stage of life. The Rehfeldts feel so blessed to still have our mother with us. She has a good mind and still is full of humor. Her body may be falling apart (as all of our are too) but we enjoy spending time with her. A great trooper she was to let us drive her around in her new set of wheels.
As always we had fun! She was able to do some shopping with that government stimulus money she received. New shoes, purse etc.... It was great for Mom to see her grandson, Brad. He is a manager for Verizon and works near the food court where we had lunch. It was nice that Tammy and her kids were able to join us.
Some day when I'm long and gone, your mother will be where my mother is now. You have not been there and done that YET! But remember THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING. While you are trying to reason with your children...I'm trying to reason with my mother....and she is probably trying to reason with me. Such is life. We are still learning from each other. Mom you did great on your First wheelchair ride. We ALL LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

I love your post! I love most all of your posts. As far as being the "oldest" one in this generation of bloggers, I just wanted to say that I am glad that you are doing it. I wish some of your sisters would join you, but you do a good job as "spokeswoman."

P.S. Thank God for grandma!

Deb said...

Grandma looks great! I'm glad you all where able to coerce her to take a ride in her "new set of wheels" out and about. Give her a kiss for me the next time you see her.

Colleen said...

Love this post. Grandma looks great!

SturgillMom said...

You look like some serious shoppers :) I did see a Christopher & Banks bag and I am extremely jealous!!!!