Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Desire for 2009!

I'm am almost finished with that wonderful beloved Mitford Series by Jan Karon that my friend Jackie got me started on awhile ago.There are so many spiritual truths that you pick up in these books.(Nine books in the whole series.) Below is a song that I have never heard of but the words,(Thanks to Pastor Aniol who taught us to think about what we were singing.) are just what I need to remember everyday. This is found in her book, Light from Heaven.

Come, Holy Spirit, heav'nly Dove
With all thy quick'ning powers
Kindle a flame of sacred love
In these cold hearts of ours.
See how we trifle here below
Fond of these earthly toys
Our souls, how heavily they go
To reach eternal joys.
In vain we tune our formal songs
In vain we strive to rise
Hosannas languish on our tongues
And our devotion die.
Come, Holy Spirit, heav'nly Dove
With all the quick'ning powers
Come, shed abroad a Savior's love
And that shall kindle ours.
Perhaps you know this song. But as I read these words, I want to be more controlled by the Holy Spirit this year than I was last year. May I find myself less fond of earthly toys...there are alot out there.

3 comments:

Alice said...

That is a beautiful hymn.

Now that you are done with Mitford, have you ever read the Miss Read books? She was Jan Karon's inspiration for writing the Mitford series. I think you would really like her. She wrote the Fairacre series and the Thrush Green series. I bet you could find them at the library...

Juliet said...

Thanks for letting me know about the Miss Read books. I will surly check them out at our library.

At the moment I went to the library and got Jan Karon, Home to Holly Springs...the first ot the Father Tim novels. I'm enjoying this series too.

So much reading, so little time..and I'm retired.

The Beard Bunch said...

Thanks, Aunt Juliet, that was good to read. Being spirit-filled is sure not as easy as it sounds. In our Beth Moore study on this, she mentioned how we have to start each morning and ask Him to fill us completely to the "bottom of our toes." :) Good thought to think this morning, thanks again.