Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Warrens Cranberry Festival 2009

It's only 152 miles to Tomah, Wisconsin where we had reversations at the Comfort Inn. The drive was beautiful. Some of the tree leaves are turning into full color. There were several rock formation that we spotted on our way up.
While I was busy checking us in and Gary was getting our luggage, I didn't even notice their Guest of the Day sign. When Gary came back into the lobby he said, "How did your name get on that sign?" If anyone knows me, they know that I am NOT an observance person. "Wow, that me!" I said. Well I got a package with bottled water, popcorn and a snack bar in it, along with "Congratulations!" for the desk clerk. Being this was our first visit to Cranberry Fest, we really didn't know what to expect! But as you can see in the photo below.....it's a sea of people. Well what would expect with 850 booth of arts and crafts, 350 booth of antique and flea markets, 100 booth farmer's markets. Needless to say, Gary and I got our walk in every day.


With any event one likes to check out different foods that might be available. Since I'm a muncher, those ribbon fries below was one of my favorite foods.


Right near the top was cranberry ice cream!! They only make it for the festival. Gary and I truly enjoyed licking our cranberry ice cream cones.



We won't able to see all the booth but I did have Gary stop at the antique booths. I was looking for some special plates that I collect...Homer Laughlin that have the bull and bear on them. No luck. But we did purchase some goodies to bring home with us. Hugh cabbage heads, homemade blueberry jam, oatmeal cranberry walnuts cookies, honey, and a special dried mix of cranberry, blueberries and cherries to put on our cereal.
The only disappointment we had was when we tried to purchase bus ticket to see the cranberry bogs. It was only one-thirty in the afternoon, but the tickets were all sold out. But we did go visit the Cranberry Discovery Center-Museum and learned all about cranberries. It was such an excellent museum! Do you know why cranberries float? It because they have four air pocket inside the berry.
We won't able to see the Bear Game, (Those Wisconsin station) but because of my special package gift, I did get to enjoy my Sunday night popcorn. However concerning the Bear's game, we did see the last two minutes because we went to the Ground Round which has a sport bar and you could see any team you wanted on individual TVs at each booth. And the Bears won!!!
Will we go back next year? Our reservations are already made for next year! This time we will go Friday and Saturday and get our bus tickets early so we can see the bogs! Plus visit some of the booths that we didn't visit.
For now we will just savor our goodies and look back on Cranberry Fest 2009!!



1 comment:

Warrens Cranberry Festival said...

We're glad to hear you enjoyed Cranfest 2009! Hope you will be able to come again next year. Cranfest 2010 will be held Sept. 24, 25 and 26.