Monday, September 21, 2009

Grandkids Visit 9-18-20, 2009

Like many weekends this year, this weekend was packed full. On Friday afternoon, September 18, we headed for Dixon, IL. We usually love taking our time driving thru all the little towns on our way down. Those beautiful towns, like Byron and Oregon. But with all the road construction going on, we wished we had taken a different route. But we made it in time to see Andrew play soccer. Even if they lost the game, they truly played hard at trying to win.
Here we have Brigitte getting a piggyback ride from her dad.


When Andrew as done playing this is what he looked like. Very soaked with sweat.

After the game, Gary had to mount the bike rack on our buick so we could take the grandkids bikes back with us. That took awhile, but we managed. When we got back home and Gary had taken the bikes off the rake, Andrew came into the house and said, "Grandma, you have to come outside and look at your trunk." "Why?" was my reply. "Just come out and look at the trunk." he repeated.





I'm not sure if you can see the dent, but believe me when I say there is a very nice dent in my trunk. Andrew's bike was a very old bike and we didn't think about how much heavier they use to make bikes. It was the weight of his bike that caused the bike rack to make this dent. Happy to report that after calling State Farm this morning, we are covered to have it fixed.



On Saturday morning we headed for Janesville, Wisconsin for family day with the co-op we belong to. Brigitte hates to have her photo taken and as a result...this is what I got. She still cute. Brigitte could have played in those bouncing houses all day.





In the meantime Andrew and Gary took a bucket ride. This one bucket went up only 50 feet. Some of the others went up to 65 feet. We then had lunch that the company provided. Then we headed to Edward's Apple Orchard West to pick up some donuts. We were thinking that we would see me mother that evening.






When we got home we prepared for our long bike ride to Poplar Grove. We invited Andrew and his sister Lindsey to join us. Their mother said it would be okay for them to go. When I told her that it would be going to Poplar Grove she laughed and said, "Your kidding!" The picture above is the five ahead of me....as always.
Let me tell you after leaving Mary Drive and getting to Roland Olsen Park was enough riding for me. I was thrilled when Lindsey said she had to get back for a youth activity. Sooooo I told Gary we would head back. I even asked Brigitte if she wanted to go back with us. "No, I want to go to Poplar Grove with Grandpa." she said.





Here we have four brave souls heading for Poplar Grove.
Lindsey and I arrived back around 4:30. At the same time Gary and his crew arrived in Poplar Grove for dinner. They must had rested a good forty minutes. Gary realized that the sun usually sets around 7:15 and needed to head back.
Around 6:45 Carrie, Andrew mother came to my door. "Are you thinking the same thing I am? Where are they." was my question to her. Thankfully before Gary and I parted ways, he remembered to give me keys to our house and I rememered to give him our tracfone. When I phoned him, they had just turned on to Dorr Road. I got on my bike and met them on Surf Trail. We all arrived at Andrew's door at 7:15.
After everyone took a shower, we all relaxed and watched a movie that Brigitte had brought with her from home. And we all slept good that night.
After Sunday School and church, we had lunch at Culvers and then went to visit my mother who will be 92 this Thursday.









My mother always enjoy seeing grandkids even great grandkids like Brigitte and Andrew.
Then back home. This time Gary just took his truck. Put the heavy bike in the back along with Brigitte's bike. We don't have the big cab on our truck so I had to stay home while Gary took the grandkids back to Dixon. There is a little side seat that Brigitte is small enough to fit into.
After they left, I turned on the Bear's game and fell asleep during the first half. Didn't even knew it had been raining. Gary got home around 7:30.
So it was another weekend packed with fun, food and fellowship. Thanking the Lord for the safety we had during all of our activity. And for giving us Andrew and Brigitte.









1 comment:

Alice said...

Wow, that is a lot of fun packed in one weekend! Dixon plus Edwards Apple Orchard and all...we need to get out there soon. And yes, the construction on Rt 2 makes travel difficult--I am having to factor that in every Friday I drive on it!