Monday, June 15, 2009

A Visit With Emma

Looking back on life, you can certainly look back and see things differently than what they really were at that time. For instance, I never thought of our family as poor. Of course we didn't have the real nice homes as our friends had. But we always walked to school and played together at each other's home.

We didn't go on vacations. We were lucky just to see that the bills got paid. For me, I enjoyed Friday nights when we would have hamburgers and ice cream. To us that was a real treat.

So for fun, we either went for a country ride or go see dear friends of my mother and father, John & Emma on their farm. They had four kids when I was going to the farm. Loved going and bringing the cows home to the barn, picking up walnuts off the ground, swinging in their big tire swing in the front of their home and checking the chicken coop to see if there were any eggs to gather. John & Emma were the dearest people you could meet. We usually had supper while we were there. Emma's husband John and several of her children our gone now. It's been so long since I have seen Emma, so when we made plans to visit her I was so excited. Now I must confess, since Emma lives in Rock City, we planned to catch a few garage sales before we got to Emmas. Actually the photo above was taken at a garage sale after we left Emma's home.
Here we have Emma & my mother

Setting up the table.


Louise special pasta salad for mom.




Jan's delicious chocolate cream filled cupcakes.




Happy Birthday Louise.




A farm chime from me.





Plus a gift from the County Cottage...rabbit holding a candle.








Louise just loved her hugh baking cup pans from Jan.








And hail! Hail! the gangs all here.
We had planned ahead of time to bring the lunch and also celebrate Louise's birthday at the same time. Louise had already celebrated her birthday on June 1 but as sisters, we would celebrated it again at Emmas.

It was so good to see Emma and talk about the days when we were all young and carefree. She was still that wonderful sweet person we knew so long ago. For mother it was different. This was one of her long-life friends. Time just slipped away and before we knew it, it was time to leave. We thanked Emma for letting us come to their farm and making our childhood full of good memories.
I guess I would just say to Emma, "Thanks for the memories."






5 comments:

CANDICE said...

Oh how fun. I love Grandma. I love all of my Aunts too! I hafve the best family in the world.

Colleen said...

It looks like you all had a great time. We will have to go garage sales while we are home .

Judi Rehfeldt said...

What a wonderful time for Mom! The picture of all of you is great and those cupcakes look sooo good! Count me in on a garage sale or two before school starts! We do have a wonderful family!

Alice said...

That looks like such a fun day. And I would like one of those cupcakes!!

Janice Sturgill said...

Thanks, Sis, for keeping up with all of our going ons! All I can say is, "God's been good!"