Saturday, June 6, 2009

Unexpected Blessings

When you look at the photo below, what catches your eye first? The beautiful Goebel vase that my niece, Candice gave me for my birthday one year? The two beautiful clusters of lilacs? Or perhaps the lone lily of the valley flower? Yes, put all of the above together and it is so beautiful as a photo. But...for me, it's the lone lily of the valley flower. The reason being that it was the only one I got this year from the three lily of the valley plants I planted last year. I was hoping for more but I got the unexpected ONE. And I think that is why it stands out among the lilac flowers.
While Gary and I were in Door County this year, we celebrated our seventh anniversay by going to the Mission Grille for our supper that night. While, we were eating our dessert (something we rarely get, because we are so full from our main meal) the waitress came by and asked how we liked our desserts. In the course of our conversation, she made the statement that she had worked for the Mission Grille for seven years. She said that she started working there when she was fourteen. Then we made the comment that we were celebrating our seventh anniversary. Later when she gave us our bill, she said the dessert was on house and wished us a Happy Anniversary. That sure was unexpected!!

Before we left for Door County, we had asked Brett and Ann-Marie to pick up our mail and water our flowers. When we got back, the house was still standing and the flowers looked well cared for. The next day after watering my flowers in the backyard, I started walking away from the railing on the deck, when that beautiful purple flower in the photo above caught my eye. Here was a pansy growing in the middle of a special type of grass that grows on both sides of the deck. "That's got to come into the house" was my first thought. As I picked it, I noticed a few inches from it was the white one. WOW! What another unexpected blessing from above. You will not find any more of these among the grass. Just what you see in the photo.
I have truly enjoyed these unexpected blessing from the Lord. Can you think of one unexpected blessing God has given you this year?



2 comments:

Alice said...

I love those unexpected blessings!

Mission Grille is our favorite restaurant too!

Ann-Marie said...

I don't think we've ever been to the Mission Grille! We'll have to try it out next time.