Friday, September 28, 2007

Treasure Your Husband, Treasure Your Dad

Looking back on our trip to Door County, there were some serious moments.

Of the four of us, three of us had lost our husbands..thus we were widows.(I am the only one of the three that had re-married.) Both Jackie and my husband were taken suddenly. Betty's husband died of cancer. Jackie was only 47 years old when Herman was killed in a car piledup on a foggy morning in another state. (their daughter was in the car with him). I was only 54 years old (almost 55) when Bob died of a heart attack. Our daughter was a Junior at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. I would call Jackie many times when I felt that I would not get thru another day. She has always been a blessing to me. I don't know Betty age, but she's around our age....Herman has been gone for 12 years, my Bob has been gone for 8 years, and Betty's Bob (good name) has only been gone for 5 years.

You may have heard me tellyou the story of Pastor Larson saying he thought I would be over Bob's death in 6 months...until he had read that it takes about 6 to 8 YEARS to re-enter life as we had known it. All I know from experience that it is just very PAINFUL!

My sister Jan, asked us a simply question..."How did we think of widows when we were married?" OUCH ..for me I really didn't think of them at all except as old ladies without a husband. And when I was a young married lady, I didn't know any young widow, but that's not the point. I just didn't think of them and that's the sad point.

SOOOO, Let's all ask God to show us how to move out of our comfort zone and invade the lives of widows with real love and concern.

I'll end my blog with the words I started with..Treasure Your Husband, Treasure Your Dad! For the three of us the husband of our youth our in heaven, (the best place to be). Our children do not have a Dad to call when they want to just talk, ask for advise, or just hear their voice. TREASURE TREASURE and then again TREASURE

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Now YOU'RE making Me cry, Mom! What a sweet post. So true!

Thankfully, we all had good dads to treasure. I've often said I would have rather had a great dad for 20 years than an awful dad for 60!

The Beard Bunch said...

Thanks, Aunt Juliet. Sadly, it is so easy to get complacent with the ones we love and just expect them to always be there. It is a good reminder to treasure them all--my husband, my mom and dad, my brothers, my grandma, and of course, my aunts :)