Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving - Nice & Quiet 2009

Usually we are off to someone else's home for Thanksgiving. Be it my sister, Louise or Brett's family in Geneva. BUT this year Gary wanted to bake a big turkey and just stay home....so we did. I'm so glad that Brett, Ann-Marie and Sam could join us. My dear friend Jackie was also free to enjoy Thanksgiving with us. For some reason or another...babies are always the main attraction at any event, and Sam was no exception.

So Gary took care of the sixteen pound turkey and the turkey dressing. I did the green bean casserole and veggie tray. Ann-Marie made Mrs. Soderstrom delicious mashed potatoes ...they are so good, you don't need gravy or butter on them. She also made her own famous cream cheese filled rolls.



Jackie arrived with three great desserts! I thought that she was only bringing a pumpkin pie. But she arrived not only with the homemade pumpkin pie but homemade apple pie and chocolate cupcakes. (That was Ann-Marie's favorite dessert.) As for me I loved her apple pie!



Here you have the table setting of some of our good food.


Jackie and I enjoyed a nice hot cup of tea with our pie.


Well, later Brett took a nap while Gary retreated to the garage to continue recycling some items he had collected along life's road. Some habits never die. In the meantime, Ann-Marie and I taught Jackie how to play a card game called Golf. She must have enjoyed it (She doen't like games too much.) She played three rounds with us.


Jackie headed for home and Ann-Marie and I headed to the movies to see The Blind Side.


It was indeed a more quiet Thanksgiving I've had in a long time...but I enjoyed every part of that day. So thankful for family and friends to share this day with.





3 comments:

Alice said...

That sounds like my kind of holiday...quiet, good food, friends, and movies. :-)

The Beard Bunch said...

You and me and our "like to stay at home husbands." Gary also wanted to stay at home, and it was enjoyable. Glad that you had some extra fun with that adorable grandson.

Linda said...

Gary, my turkey was onlt 7 pounds...and we were all of 7 to eat it ...and we ate it all up!
Just enough for a little meal next day for Anna & I. Did you make some sweet potatoes? If so, you can make me some when I come for Xmas! Love