Wednesday, October 17, 2007

WHY READ A BOOK?

Here's something to chew on while I'm away on vacation. Have you ever asked yourself at times why you don't read more books? Now I know there are many types of reading...some for just the pure pleasure..funny, romantic, or perhaps true stories of people lives. Then there are the many books dealing with theology...

At our church, we have a ladies group in which we are reading Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes..a great book. I'm on chapter 6..Discipline of Mind (Submission's Education) "Do not confirm any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Here we go..First paragraph.."The human brain has an astonishing capacity! It doesn't miss a thing. Capable of giving and receiving the subtles input-from imagining a universe in which time bend to creating the polyphonic texture of a Bach fugue or transmitting and receiving a message from God Himself-it accomplishes feats no computer ever will."

Did you understand ALL of that! Well I'm not a music major and I needed help in understanding at least 2 of the words in that paragraph. First word: polyphonic. Now here's the fun. Grab that wonderful book called The American Heritage Dictionary and look up that word. Polyphonic- (now remember this is going to give me the meaning of that word) ADJ. Mus. of pertaining to, or characteristic of polyphony. HUH???? Now you know what is next..ya look up polyphony...Mus Music with two or more independent melodie parts sounded together..now we are getting somewhere.

Next word for me fugue..I took the dictionary second meaning. A pathological condition during which one is apparently conscious of his actions but has no recollections of them after returning to a normal state.

Like I said before this is only the first paragraph!!!

My advice or is it advise is to keep reading, but keep that dictionary handy. Okay I took the time and will follow my own advise to keep a dictionary close at hand.

Take Care and while I'm on vacation, I think I will keep my theology books at home:)

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Mom - this is exactly what you and Dad drilled into me growing up! Why do you think everybody asks all the time why I use such big words? You raised a wordsmith - who loves to read

PLEASE leave the theology books at home! Let's read mysteries!

Jennittia said...

It has been a while since I visited! Loved catching up! You are truly enjoying the grandkids!! OOOOHHHH! THe mention of Edward's Apple Orchard and their cider donuts made my mouth water soooo bad! There just isn't anything like that here!