Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Picking with Grandkids 2010

It's that's time of year...strawberry picking time!! We always look forward to seeing our grandkids, Andrew and Brigitte from Dixon. Because Gary was not doing well last year, we missed picking strawberries with the kids. But last week we got the grands for five days. Wednesday Gary took the kids bike riding. When he phoned me from Poplar Grove saying Brigitte bike had a blown tire I knew we needed help. Great that my sister Carol was on call. She picked me up and we drove to Poplar Grove to get both Brigitte and her bike. Gary and Andrew came home by bike...a long ride from our home to Poplar Grove. But they made it.

On Thursday June 10, we did some morning garage sales. Then we headed for the Hazeltines Strawberry farm in Janesville, Wisconsin.

Here you have the four of us with our empty white basket. We were ready to fill them to the brim.
Brigitte decided to only pick the really BIG ones!


Andrew just got down on his knees and pick any size strawberry to fill his basket.

The strawberries were so ready to be picked. In no time our baskets were full.




Coming home we passed a drive-in place that Gary and his brother use to go to when he was sixteen. Well, since that was over FIFTY years ago, I said we must take the grands to this place.



Gary wasn't too hungry so he just ordered a vanilla malt.






While we waited for our sandwiches, Brigitte played on a small playground they had in the back. Since Brigitte doesn't like people to take pictures of her, I have to just sneak one in.






Finally our food came and we enjoyed just relaxing and talking about when Grandpa used to come to Circus Drive-In.
Upon arriving home it was time for me to get busy and clean and cut the strawberries up. That week we had strawberry smoothies, strawberry shakes and strawberry shortcake. Which I did share with my sister, Carol and two of her grandsons, Zachery and Issac. And I am happy to report that I was able to freeze some too.
Just so thankful that we were able to do our annual strawberry picking with Andrew and Brigitte.






No comments: