Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Wonderful Arrival of My Grandson, Samuel

I was sleeping so soundly when all of a sudden, the phone rang. Of course I picked up the phone and said, "Hello." "Mom my water broke." came from the voice of Ann-Marie. "What time is it?" was my reply. "It's 4:45 a.m." she replied. I was thinking that is was only 2:00 a.m. "I don't know if you want me to call you when we get the hospital to make sure that indeed it was the water that broke." Ann-Marie continued. Well, I wasn't sure what I should do either...being this was my first time to becoming a grandma. We finally decided that Gary and I should head to the hosptial. I didn't want to miss the arrival of Sam's entry into this world. And I also was remembering how soon Ann-Maire entered this world with me...very fast. So when Gary and I arrived, Ann-Marie was getting settled in. Didn't know at the time that it would be an all day affair.

Ann-Marie has already made up her mind that she was going to have an epidural shot. So they started right away with that. Oh did she enjoy that after the fact of getting it. She said, "Who wouldn't want to have this done?" She was smiling, read a little and even was answereing her cell phone. But all good things must come to an end. So around 7:55 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. she began that wonderful process of pushing. Oh, let me tell you she was great! And her coach, Daddy Brett was excellent. If he were a restaurant, he would get the the five-star rating.

And along came Samuel....look at all that beautiful dark hair! Welcome to this world Sam. We ALL love you.


Here we have proud Dad! Brett even impressed the nurse and doctor with he slow counts when it came to Ann-Marie pushing. He was very calm, cool and very collected.


Samuel looking into his mommy eyes and thinking, "I know that voice." "Hi Mommy!"





Here we have a very proud Grandpa!






And of course we know that I am the very proud Grandma! Grandma got to give the ice chips after Ann-Maire got to take a break from pushing.






It was so great that Candice could even share in the arrival of Sam. She was given the job of holding the fan while Ann-Maire was pushing. We all know how much Ann-Marie hates getting hot.







Here we have a very proud Great Aunt Jan. She made a special trip just to see her new nephew Sam.






Ann-Marie had many visitors! And most of us will say..."We just love to hold a newborn." Here is one of Ann-Maire friends, Heidi from her church. Sam look so content.
Well, this certainly will be a day I will remember forever. We welcome Sam to our family and circle of friends. Thanking God for this new addition. And of course making me a Grandmother.

6 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

Ann-marie always testifies and we can all tell what a great mom you are. Now, it will be fun to watch you capably handle the fun role of being the grandma :)

Ann-Marie said...

I couldn't have done it without YOU - and all of the wonderful people who helped me! I'm so gald to have such an amazing family, a wonderful husband, and a support network of great friends! Thanks for being there for us!!! I love you!

Wendy said...

YYYEEEEAAAAA!!! I found pictures!! I'm so excited. October and I have been waiting for Facebook or AM's blog, and we just thought to look here.

Oh, he is so adorably perfectly beautiful. :-D I knew he would be.

Ann-Marie, good decision with the epidural! Aren't they grand?

Congratulations to you all!!

Jennittia said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! Wow, that's a LONG time for pushing!!! I guess there's one plus side for how low I carried all my babies! Way to run the marathon. Enjoy being Grandma!

Linda said...

Congratulations, Grandma!! Thank you for posting so many pictures! All that hair is amazing! What a cutie! :) Thanks for posting pictures of Ann-Marie with Sam. I was waiting to see her holding that precious answer to prayer! Love you!!

Alice said...

I'm so excited for you! We've been in Door County this week, but I have been thinking about Sam's arrival and wanting to see pics! You look like such a proud and happy grandma!